Queen & Collins by KTA and BVN, image by Derek Swalwell Photography

Retrofitting our Cities | Panel Event

Presented by BVN Architecture

Date

Wed 29 May 6:00pm - 7:30pm

Tickets

Booking Required

Venue

Entry via Queen Street Entrance (corner of Queen and Little Collins)
376-390 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC, Australia

Access

Accessible bathroom, Assistance animals welcome, Wheelchair accessible

Each year 2% of our cities are being actively developed as knock-down rebuild, leaving 98% as opportunities for renewal. The construction industry alone contributes around 40% of global carbon emissions. We simply cannot afford to continue building in the same way we do now. The radical adaptation of existing buildings, particularly within our cities, will ensure assets remain relevant and create new value. It’s better for business, society, and the planet.

Join BVN for the panel discussion Retrofitting Our Cities. By sharing insights, encouraging debate, and fostering genuine connections, the event engages the audience in a dialogue on the current and future transformation of existing buildings within our CBDs.

Retrofitting Our Cities delves into the challenges and opportunities each panel member has uncovered through their project work in this space and speculates on what the future holds for sustainable urban development.

Moderated by Principal Sally Campbell of BVN Architecture, the panel composes:

  • Kerstin Thompson (Principal, KTA)
  • Martin Richie (GPT, Head of Office)
  • Ali Whelan, Design Lead – Breathe Architecture and

This discussion takes place at the site of one such recently transformed Melbourne precinct, Queen & Collins. A precinct-renewal and workplace development by GPT group (designed by KTA and BVN), Queen & Collins is a radical adaptation of three neo-gothic inspired buildings co-located on a high-profile corner block of Melbourne’s CBD.

Participants

Sally Campbell, Principal - BVN

Sally’s enthusiasm for design and the vision of the projects she leads is contagious. She is naturally personable and effortless in her ability to engage clients, stakeholders, consultants and project teams at all stages of a project. She is an advocate for spaces that leave lasting impressions and believes everyone should have the benefit of living in, working in, or occupying well designed spaces. Her curious nature leads to rigorous examination of clients’ briefs, to extract core needs and eliminate the superfluous. She is excited about workplace strategy and innovative design solutions across all sectors.

Kerstin Thompson, Principal - KTA

Kerstin is the design director and leader on all projects undertaken by KTA, supported by a dedicated and skilled team. Her design excellence, project success and strategic thinking has been recognised through a raft of architectural awards at state, national and international levels. Committed to design-based research and education, Kerstin is an adjunct professor at RMIT and Monash Universities. As a writer and lecturer, she maintains close links with schools of architecture and professional institutes both in Australia and overseas.

Ali Whelan, Design Lead - Breathe Architecture

Ali Whelan, a pivotal member of Breathe Architecture since 2019, spearheads the front-end design team with a focus on urban, masterplanning, and concept design for highly sustainable architecture. Renowned for her big-picture thinking, she excels in diverse projects, from residential developments to strategic planning. Ali’s expertise, efficiency and commitment to sustainability make her a sought-after and respected figure in the architectural community. As a mentor, she generously shares her knowledge with young architects and designers.

Martin Richie, Head of Office - GPT

Martin has over 30 years experience in funds management, investment and asset management, strategy, property development, capital raising, property management, leasing, and sustainability with a key focus on customer. Martin is responsible for GPT’s Office business, including investment performance, asset management, development and the 180+ people in the team.